Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sacred Hoops

A Book by Phil Jackson

I have a basketball player for a son, or a son that plays basketball. I like to buy him books to read that he can relate to and seeing that this book was written by Phil Jackson who coached the Chicago Bulls with Michael Jordan (one of my son’s favorite players)I thought it would be a good read. Well, it was such a great read, that my son made me read it. And I struggled with it. I do not read about sports! But then, a page at a time I realized that this book is not really about basketball-it's about spirituality and selflessness through basketball. The author is Phil Jackson, formerly of the New York Knicks (and colleague of Bill Bradley) and, later, coach of the Chicago Bulls - the only coach in NBA history to pull of twin "three-peats" - three consecutive NBA Championships, not once but twice. Under Jackson's guidance and the leadership of Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Bill Cartwright, and others, the Bulls became the best basketball team in the world.



Jackson focuses his success on his fundamentalist upbringing and his exploration of other cultures and spirituality that mixed to bring him to the conclusion that oneness and selfless play based on philosophical principles instead of the riot of money, ego and media hype of the NBA will win games and build champions on the court and off!

No comments:

Post a Comment